Saturday, February 16, 2013

Growing Food from Scraps



I have a lovely garden, but it's been so gross and wet recently that nearly everything has died a slow drowning death, so I've been experimenting with growing some indoor plants. Currently I am attempting to grow celery from a cut stump, and a pineapple. Pineapple plants supposedly take 3 years to grow a fruit, and I'm not sure I have that kind of patience, but we'll see.

The celery started with no leaves and no roots. In one week it had little baby rootlets and a bunch of leaves!



In two weeks it had even more roots and more leaves!  I'm gonna wait to plant it outside until the weather here stabilizes a bit.



 Unfortunately, a few days after this picture was taken I went to plant it outside and all the outside stalks had gotten all mushy and rotten, and the whole thing just kind of fell apart. Good thing I just got more celery to try again!

In two weeks the pineapple had really sprung roots up. I planted it in a pot a few days ago. Can't wait to see what happens!



Aww, Mr. Pineapple looks happy in his new home. That parasitic parsley in the background has been growing without me doing anything to it for 3 years. I do NOTHING to it. It still grows.


No comments:

Post a Comment